Cleaning of Animal Sheds
CLEANING OF ANIMAL SHEDS:-
Cleaning of animal sheds can be easily done with the use of tap water, proper lifting and disposing of all dung and used straw bedding, providing drainage, to the animal house for complete removal of liquid waste and urine.
The daily removal of feed and fodder left over in the manger, reduces the fly nuisance. Periodical cleaning of water through eliminates the growth of algae, bacterial and viral contamination and thus keeps the animal healthy.
Sanitizing the Animal Shed
Sanitizing the animal shed is necessary for the eliminations of all micro organisms that are capable of causing disease in the animals. The presence of organisms in the animal shed can contaminates the milk produced in dairy animals thus reducing its self life and milk production.
Dry floorings also help to keep the animal shed dry and protects the foot from injury. Similarly the presence of flies and other insects in the animal shed also serves as a form of disturbance for the animals which can lead to disease outbreak.
Sunlight is the most potent and powerful sanitizer which destroy most of the disease producing organism. Disinfecting of animal sheds means making the animal shed free from disease producing bacteria.
This activity is mainly-carried out by sprinkling chemical agents such as bleaching powder, Iodine and lodophor, sodium carbonate, Washing soda, Slaked Lime (Calcium hydroxide), Quick Lime (Calcium oxide) and phenol. etc.
Insecticides are the substances or preparations used for killing insects. They can be highly poisonous, should be handled carefully and they should not come in contact with food material such as feed, concentrates, water. etc.
Precautions while using disinfection In Insecticide.
- Remove dung and used bedding completely.
- Avoid spilling of dung and used bedding while carrying it out.
- Avoid the use of dirty water in cleaning the sheds.
- Never put the fresh fodder over: the previous day’s left over fodder in the manger.
- Prevent algae to grow in the water troughs
- Use proper concentration of disinfectant / insecticide solutions to avoid any toxic effects poisoning.
- Avoid of the mat the milking time as milk absorbs these quickly.
- Remove the dung from the floor and urine channel with the help of a shovel and basket (iron) and transfer it to the wheel – barrow.
- Remove the used bedding and leftovers from the mangers in a similar way.
- Empty the water trough and scrape its sides and bottom with the help of a floor brush.
- Wash the water trough with clean water and white wash it with the help of lime mixture once a week.
- Scrape the floor with a brush and broom and wash with water.
- Clean and disinfect the splashes of dung on the side walls, railing and stanchions.
- Remove the cobwebs periodically with the help of a wall brush.
- Sprinkle one of the available disinfecting agents in the following concentration. Bleaching powder should have more than 30% available chlorine. Phenol 1-2% solution. Washing Soda (4% solution).
- Allow adequate sunlight to enter in to the shed.
- Spray insecticides at regular intervals especially during the rainy season (Fly season).
- Whitewash the walls periodically by mixing insecticides init to eliminate ticks and mites living in cracks and crevices
Other Things to Look Into:-
- The animal sheds should have proper facilities for milking barns, calf pens, calving pens and arrangement for store rooms.
- Arrangement should be made for feeding manger, drinking area and loafing area.
- The shed may be cemented or brick paved, but in any case it should be easy to clean.
- The floor should be rough, so that animals will not slip.
- The drains in the shed should be shallow and preferably covered with removable tiles.
- The roof may be of corrugated cement sheet, asbestos or brick and rafters.
- It is always desirable to plant some good shady trees for excellent protection against direct cold winds in winter and to keep cool in summer.
Would you like to know more when it comes to cleaning your animal shed? then send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will be glad to put you through however we can.
However, if you would like to buy meat click here to order for wholesome, traceable meat (ram & goat inclusive) from a fit-for slaughter livestock now.
If you made it to the end of this article, don’t forget to check out our other post on “Livestock Feeding Equipment ” here.Share